Monday, March 10, 2008

Like Clockwork (recap)

Heard on the show:

  1. Thrills - Cake
  2. Soft Winds - Phil Bodner
  3. Black Box Theme - Tom Waits
  4. Mr. Helpmann - Michael Kamen
  5. Talking in the Dark - Elvis Costello
  6. Masters of War - The Gene Norman Group
  7. Royal Jelly - John C. Reilly

  • Intro - Obviously the windup that begins things and the announcer winding down are just there to set the overall clockwork theme. Ambercrombie and Felch is just a cheap ass gag.
  • Robot Vacation - The beginning of this came as the song popped on my iPod at work. Obviously I was enjoying (ahem) the fluorescent, cold, factory, kind of conditions that the robot pined for. Work has been more than a little stressful lately and I sort of took a roundabout vacation by way of imagining a robot in a similar predicament.
  • 3:00 AM - I was originally going to do a mock reality commercial of what it would be like to call the campaign headquarters at that hour but then TweetJeebus http://twitter.com/TweetJeebus posted the link to the Clinton interview on religion and as I was listening to it, I thought about her personal relationship with God. Also I kind of had a bit of Israel on the brain. It happens
  • Safety Film - This came from watching, of all things, instructional films from the early part of the 20th century. I saw one about Anarchists and the commentary track mentioning how the fear of Anarchist terrorism caused a curtailing of civil liberties and crack down on immigration and thought, 'hmm... that sounds familiar'. Then I saw one about street safety from the 20's. Then later in The Economist www.economist.com I saw about the cost benefit analysis done on The War on Terror and it all sort of cemented.
  • Vote Robot - this whole Robot Martian thing is heating up huh? coincidentally, it's also a great way of making fun of the political contest without really taking sides.

No comments: