Saturday, November 11, 2006

Just a plug for TRB

I looked all over for the song "Glad To Be Gay" by Tom Robinson's Band, or TRB. Those early TRB albums aren't available on iTunes or eMusic but if you go here http://www.tomrobinson.com/trb/songs.htm you can listen to, download, and read the lyrics to the first two TRB records. If you like early political brit-punk, you really should check it out.

When I was a kid, I had one of the Best Of compilations that came out stateside and I absolutely fell in love with how poppy, political and pissed off those tunes were but my whole life I don't think I've ever actually run into anyone who'd ever heard of them or if they have they only know 2-4-6-8-motorway, their one "hit".

There was a time in High School when that tape and The Clash's Sandinista were about all I listened to. It would be a couple of years later that I would learn that this was the kind of music people were referring to when they talked about Punk Rock. it's kind of weird that I was hip enough to be listening to Punk (mostly due to my Dad's influence) and yet be so clueless that I didn't know that that was what I was listening to. I thought it was just... y'know... music. Same as everything else.

No comments: