Monday, November 26, 2007

Post Thanksgiving Hibernation

To start with here is the playlist for last week's show:

  1. Black Friday - Steely Dan
  2. Bubbles in the Wine - Lloyd Mumm and His Starlight Roof Orchestra
  3. I can't get started/Round Midnight - Dizzy Gillespie
  4. Vamp Finish - Messer Chups
  5. Malia -Hal Aloma and his Orchestra
  6. Bears - Lyle Lovett

Dominatrix Decorators - No clue where that came from. Just a random free association

B lowing up Balloons - One of the things that my new computer has is a TV tuner and right before the holiday I got myself an antenna. I haven't had a TV in years so this is all brand spanking new to me. This bit came from a story about them having a party with the blowing up balloons ceremony the day before the Macy's Day Parade. Obviously, I misheard "Blowing Up"

Thanksgiving- This too came from seeing all the zillions of cheap advertising campaigns based on the holiday and the Black Friday anticipation. I just took it to it's illogical extreme.

Uganda - This story, as I mentioned, came from The Economist newspaper. It's an article I clipped back in the days when I had no PC or online access. It just struck me how great half of the salary I make for talking to old people is to people in a place I wouldn't be for ten times the income.

Mail Bag - this is a true story. Based on real events and weird correspondence

1-900-COMPLAIN - I work tech support for old people dealing with a MASSIVE health care system and often have to sit through people just bitching at the system though they know I can't really do anything about their issues. Again, I just took this to it's illogical extreme.

Political Revolution - This just seems like a good idea to me. I tried making it as interesting a presentation as I could without going too far into the ramifications. Believe me, this could've been twice as long if I didn't edit out a ton of examples, assuming that you, the listener, could figure most of this out yourself

Inuit Folklore - This came as a direct result of listening to Nanook the Schnook. A Martin and Lewis broadcast from the 50's where the radio play they put on was set in the frozen tundra. As I listened I was waiting for a bus Saturday night, freezing my ass off. I just thought, how wrong could one do an 'eskimo story' The rest just followed from there. Before I settled on the story, I tried finding a traditional inuit folk legend but the stories are as harsh as the climate, and much less pleasant than my silly little fairy tale.

I apologize for the fact that the transitions in this show went from me talking as me to me talking as me most of the time. I'd have put more songs in between to help the flow but that would've made the show even longer. What do you think? Should I have made the show longer and less talky or was it okay to just go from one similar piece to another? I'm on the fence, artistically on this one. It probably could've been a shorter and more various show.

No comments: