Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pure Imagination is a Powerful Deciever (recap)

Songs heard on this show:
  • Cats are Cunts - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (with Conan O'Brien)
  • Hey Bulldog - The Beatles
  • Pure Imagination - Caleb Bullen (with apologies to Anthony Newly)

Intro - First of all let me apologize for the technical quality on tonight's show, the input level on my microphone got jacked up and it took me almost to the end of the show to realize that that was why it sounded a little distorted. I'm an idiot. Get it, Drawn Randomly as opposed to drawn cubist or impressionistically? I probably think of David Koresh every time I hear the word Kresh. I had to pimp the Black Tie Martini Club Players google group here in the intro too because I cut a segment of the show where I pimped it and my notions about recess for adults, siesta in America, and the war. I cut those because they were all things I've mentioned before

CIA Reenactment Theatre - See it's all about the Punchlines. get it? PUNCH lines? Also not to reveal too much about my subversive liberal agenda you'll notice that the person being tortured actually gets all the punchlines wrong and the CIA goes along with the bad intelligence anyway, which is what tends to happen with torture. It's not that it's morally wrong (it is) but it wastes more time than it saves overall.

The Farm Story - I really never thought about it until this week but now I wonder if Space did go to a farm or fell victim to some unfortunate happening. For the record the person whose tragedy inspired this notion wasn't especially taken with the idea of self delusion. Still, I think I would be and part of me thinks more people are open to self delusion than they think. Maybe they're a little deluded about their ability to be deluded?

Hey Bulldog - I just have to tell a wacky little story about the original Black Tie Martini Club which was a band I was in back in Chicago in the 90's. We were working on adding the Pink Floyd song Lucifer Sam, a song about a cat, into our act when we had a cat break into our 4th floor practice space. Then we were working on Hey Bulldog when a pit bull broke in and wanted to play with us. The only other animal we ever did songs about after that were elephants and I don't mind telling you, I was a little nervous about adding it to the set considering our past history with animals.

Phil Johnson - this came from listening to last week's show. I had this idea of playing with memory but never was able to finish it. Fun Fact: a prevailing theory about deja vu is that it is the same phenomena as described in this sketch. You store the experience as you experience it, in your memory with old memories so you accidentally remember it as you are living through it, hence Deja Vu. The wacky ending isn't as wacky as I would've hoped. I think you'll be seeing more Pythonesque sketches interrupted by other sketches as 2008 continues.

Pure Imagination - I was going to play the Harry Connick Jr. version of this song but as I was looking for it, I was singing it and thought maybe I could just perform it myself. Whaddya think? Should I have left the music to the professionals?

No comments: