Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ho Ho No

I'm not known for being a big fan of the holidays. I encourage people to not give gifts for the holidays but instead give to charity. When someone tells me to have a Merry Christmas I bark back with, “Happy Hannukah” in a tone that probably qualifies as assault. So I will admit that there is a chance that I might be missing the obvious Christmas tie in that others see in it but I absolutely cannot understand why they are releasing the new Tom Cruise movie, Valkyrie, on Christmas day.

Valkyrie is a movie about a failed attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler; which doesn't seem like a traditional subject for holiday fare to me. Although if this is the new thing that's going to take off, let me recommend it on a double feature with Downfall, the movie about the last few days in the bunker for next year. Or if you want to make fun of this strange new tradition, you might want to throw on a saved copy of The Diary of Ann Frankenstein.

The only way it makes any sense, to me, as a holiday movie is if they gave it a hollywood ending and let Tom Cruise win. I could see going to see a movie where Hitler is thwarted on Christmas day and I'm sure there might be a few other Jews who might feel the same.

However, the actual plot to kill Hitler failed. So it's not just a movie about Nazis on Christmas day but it's also a movie about somebody not actually doing something. I wonder what they'll do next if this is a hit; a movie about the Dickstein Brothers, Gene and Alice (don't ask) who almost invented the aeroplane and would have if the Wright Brothers hadn't done it first. Maybe they'll make a movie about all the people who haven't discovered a cure for cancer, that would be riveting, I'm sure.

The thing I really don't understand about this movie and it coming out on Christmas is what kind of a message does it send? If they tell a story anything like the real story it will be about a clever plot to kill Hitler that isn't so much as thwarted as it is avoided by dumb luck. Could there be a more atheistic message? They come up with a plan to kill one of the most evil men ever to live, they execute it as planned, and then Hitler accidentally isn't there when the bomb goes off. If there is a God, it would be a God that actually protected Hitler. Again, I really hope this doesn't become a new holiday tradition. Christmas is bad enough as it is, that would be even worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be considered for an Academy Award, a film must play in Los Angeles for at least seven days in the nomination year.

Seven days before the end of the year is - you guessed it - 25 December, Christmas day to those of us who celebrate.

They are clearly thinking that Valkyrie is Oscar worthy. You see this every year, much to the despair of movie theatre employees everywhere there isn't a large non-Christian population to hire from. I mean, really - would it friggin kill you to run the damn movie starting the Friday before like other movies all friggin year long....

It has become the opening "look at me" media salvo in the awards process - kind of like the mastubatory "For your consideration" ads that studios and production companies take out in the trade journals to let you know they think you should vote for them...

Now you know.

@Corum