Monday, April 09, 2007

Helpful Hints For The Post Modern Consumer

You may have noticed that Helpful Hints contained an awful lot of 60's Shopping Music style stuff. That really wound up being the basis for everything on the show.

It all started with Steve Dahl. Chicago Radio: The Steve Dahl Show on WCKG I grew up listening to Steve Dahl and I still listen via Podcast even though I'm no longer in Chicago. Last week he was talking about how he had been searching for the Capitol Hi-Q series of production music from the 60's and how he'd found something similar on a Swedish Blog but he never mentioned the URL for the blog.

So I wrote him, my idol, asking for the link. As a sidenote I once got thrown off the air for being too much like Steve Dahl. It's always the idols who get you into trouble that you appreciate the best. I wanted to offer him something in exchange so I told him about the Smithsonian Folkways' Background Music for Home Movies CDs from 1961 and 1962 which can be found on MP3 music downloads at eMusic cheaply or through the Smithsonian Folkways website for almost twenty bucks a pop.

In the matter of two hours Steve had written back giving me the link. Ultra Swank - Lifestyle Adventures
And there they have a couple CD's worth of currently unavailable shopping style music. And if you like that kind of thing, you can find a lot of links to other sites that share unreleased lounge music, much of which will be featured on future shows.

Anyway, as I was listening to these wonderful tracks, I started talking over them and everything on the show came from middle of the night improvisations on the first listenings of these wonderful tracks.

About half of the time I write pieces based on the music and half of the time the music comes along after the first edit of a piece and then I edit the rest of the piece to fit the music.

I think the reason these particular pieces were so dark is because the weather went from 80 degrees to snow in a day. When the weather is nice, I get prolific and when the weather is ugly, I get dark. Combine the two kinds of weather together and you get a lot of small ugly pieces put together.

The one exception to that is the Ben Cohen piece which is just a reaction to a Ted Nugent interview I heard. I love the Nuge's music and his crazy ass, march to the beat of a different drum, energy but he is the biggest blowhard on the planet too. Plus, I had some really good Pink Lady apples.

No comments: