Monday, April 02, 2007

Brilliant Ideas commentary track

Wearios - this came from the incongruous sight of a box of cheerios in a store window next to a bunch of piled up t-shirts. I immediately said, "Wearios" and first thought that it might make for a kind of edible chain mail and then of course my mind went to the risque' Oat Bran I think is because Whole Foods just opened around here and I've been thinking about healthy stuff.

Intro - I seriously can't get all 12 minutes of this song out of my head

Printing on Cereal - Obviously this turned into a sort of Garrison Kellior rip off. It started with the idea of printing on cereal which quite literally came to me in a dream. I've been waking up early lately because now that there is a Whole Foods nearby, I've been keeping espresso in the house. Where I used to slap the snooze alarm, I now am lured to the cappuccino that awaits in the kitchen.

A few days the Cappuccino was pulling me awake while I was still dreaming so I wrote down my dreams as I was waking up. The notion of a cereal printer was one of those ideas.

Printing on Pasta was just a logical extension but I have a long history of combining pasta and art in brilliant ideas, including the stigmattaghetti which would have the sauce on the inside of the noodle, saving you a pot.

The Smorkle or smoking snorkle... came from a conversation I had but I'll be damned if I remember what it was about.

The Lucifer throughpoint just sort of popped out as I was telling the story. Looking back at it with the religious wife, the crazy childhood, the grand religious gesture and the smoking underwater, I think I was channeling or at least writing about Danny Bonaduce who has mentioned the idea of a diving bell for smoking without bothering people and is a troubled but entertaining fellow.

"I hope you fucking die" grows out of a fond affection I have for a friend of mine, "Eat shit and die". There's no deep meaning behind it or anything it's just fun to say really inappropriate things in the wrong tone.

Notice that the Pink Dye killed Jane and the preceeding spoken word piece was MAUVE. A theme? Not really.

You're the Cream in My Coffee - I figured that since we had started with two cereal pieces I might as well have some coffee with that. Plus, I just love Mel Tormé

Sandwich - This came from one of the 100 word story about sandwich. I thought this one was good enough to stand alone

The Sunni Side of the Street - I know most of you wish I'd sing less but I couldn't help myself. I'm actually a much better musician than you'd think but two things are working against me. I'm not especially good at playing with myself (insert joke here) and the other is I have a number of technical issues with my computer right now that make recording songs much more challenging than you'd think.

Lithium - this is another 100 word story that I think is getting short shrift in the competition. It uses real 2001 music and is mostly scientifically accurate except for the robot extracting lithium from batteries. That'd be a little bit backwards.

Fun fact: there is no pure Lithium occuring here on Earth? It's too reactive because it has three electrons. It's like Hydrogen if Hydrogen was a metal.

No comments: