Monday, April 23, 2007

The Lighter Side of School Shootings (recap)

So, what do you think? Was it too soon?

I didn't really mean to go off on the shooting in quite that way. Obviously, the hypocrisy of the National Tragedy vs. all the other comparable "unimportant" tragedy was something that had me riled up all week, especially after the White House Correspondent's Dinner. But it wasn't until I was putting the show together that I realized I had a couple other songs that were songs about actual school shootings.

When it hit me how nearly everyone of a certain age has sung, "I Don't Like Mondays" including most of the people who have lost their minds over this National Tragedy, the absurdity of that was like a slap in the face and I had to push hard in the opposite direction.

So far, no one has actually complained but I wouldn't exactly blame them if they did. It may have been a bit much.

I had thought of the Hey Cho bit as soon as I heard his name. I thought of another similar parody too but had decided early on that either one would be too insensitive even for me. If it wasn't for the Sunday chat shows and the over analysis of the whole thing, the politicizing of it by both sides, I would've just made it a short little pre-best of show.

I was pretty well whupped from the extremely harsh work week. I really had planned on not mentioning the shootings at all. The best laid plans, eh?

Anyway, I'm sorry if it was too soon for anyone but it is true that there will be a time when we do laugh at it, when it becomes a punchline... or is completely forgotten about. One of the two.

No comments: