Monday, May 14, 2007

The Lighter Side of Intolerance (recap)

Wow, I guess more of this has to do with my workplace than I realized. I work in a health system and the Darwin's Hospital idea came to me while I was dealing with a patient we had fired for being a pain in the ass. You didn't even know that hospitals could fire patients did you? Neither did I.

By the way, I'm almost as sick of George Tenet at this point as I am of Paris Hilton. As far as I'm concerned they could both go on a nice vacation somewhere so long as they stay out of the news.

The Fabulous 50's night was a real corporate outing that I actually didn't go to but I kept seeing the flyers for it and imagining what it would be like if they celebrated the way the 50's really were. I've had that idea in my notebook for a while but thought I could bring it out for the intolerance show as a way of demonstrating how intolerance can suck you in and make you feel good about yourself if you aren't on the receiving end of it and how you might not even notice anything wrong for a while.

The conversation about how much intolerance is out there on the streets also came from work because I had noticed we have an Office of Diversity website that is very poorly designed. To be fair, it's new. The Useful Resources section was completely empty except for a link to some consulting firm but elsewhere on the site, in a completely unrelated area, there was a link to the only diversity group at my place of work. The diversity group is a GLBT group, and when I pointed it out to my friend, she said they had had so many complaints about the group's existence at all, it wasn't a surprise that the link would be hard to find.

What stunned me is that if they weren't just saying there had been complaints because they thought there would be complaints, then someone complained to an Office of Diversity because they were too diverse! My mind was blown. It still is. I can't imagine who finishes and sends that complaint because it seems like no matter how much you hated gays, you'd realize that an Office of Diversity just didn't share your views at all. And from there the conversation moved on to whole just how much intolerance is acceptable to display.

Racist foods obviously came from all the talk recently about Aunt Jemimah, Rastus, and Frito Bandito because of how Uncle Ben, has been upgraded from Uncle Tom to executive. Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought but I like both Cream of Wheat and Aunt Jemimah and never really paid attention to the fact that their spokes-characters were also spokes-characters for institutionalized racism. I still wonder why you don't have more of that, though you could make some argument I suppose that Italian food has a fair amount of weird stereotype characters.

Coke vs. Hep-C has nothing to do with anything I just kind of walk around rhyming like an idiot much of the time.

No comments: