Monday, June 02, 2008

The Nicest Rooms In Hell (recap)

What? A return to blogging? Hell, I'm unemployed. I can't say I don't have time for it.

I think this show mostly comes from an idea I think I had when I heard an episode of This American Life about the Christians who were trying to breed a pure red(?) calf or bull or something. Anyway, it's one of the things that is required to bring about the second coming.

I started thinking about how that would go and came up with this basic plot but it had a million other little side plots that would all converge into the rapture and all that. It's such a weird part of organized religion, I'm always fascinated by that.

A few weeks ago I heard that song 'Hoedown' and thought it was perfect hold music and started talking over it, and suddenly running the story through the filter of explaining that history over the phone. The older I get the more I get the message that a ton of the story can be left untold. When you cut out all those extraneous details, it gets better. The part that's rough is a lot of the time you do have to have the details in your mind to make the other bits work.

Anyway big props to Daphne Abernathy www.daphneabernathy.com and Laurence Simon www.podcasting.isfullofcrap.com and Anima Zabaleta for taking part!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I throughly enjoyed the story.. Nice work to all involved.